COLUMBIA, S.C. (Jan. 16, 2007) – SCANA, SCE&G, S.C. Pipeline Corp. (now Carolina Gas Transmission) and SCANA Communications paid more than $113 million in property taxes in South Carolina in 2006. The tax dollars are used to support education and other critical public services in the state’s local communities.
The largest single tax payment was made to Richland County in the amount of $20.4 million. Other significant payments included:
- $19.2 million to Fairfield County
- $15.9 million to Lexington County
- $10.3 million to Orangeburg County
- $7.8 million to Charleston County
- $7.6 million to Aiken County
- $6.0 million to Jasper County
- $4.3 million to Berkeley County
- $3.8 million to Colleton County
- $2.8 million to Dorchester County
- $2.7 million to Beaufort County
- $1.7 million to Hampton County
- $1.1 million to Barnwell County
Additional payments were made to 29 other counties throughout the state.
Headquartered in Columbia, S.C., SCANA Corporation is a $9 billion Fortune 500 energy-based holding company principally engaged, through subsidiaries, in regulated electric and natural gas utility operations and other non-regulated energy-related businesses. SCANA’s subsidiaries serve approximately 620,000 electric customers in South Carolina and more than one million natural gas customers in South Carolina, North Carolina and Georgia. Information about SCANA is available on the Company’s web site at www.scana.com.