Columbia, S.C. - Jan. 15, 2008 - South Carolina Electric & Gas Co. and other subsidiaries of SCANA paid nearly $119 million in property taxes statewide in 2007.
“Supporting the communities where we work and live is important to us,” said SCANA spokesperson Eric Boomhower. “Property taxes are instrumental in funding education and other critical public services in our area and we’re glad to do our part.”
Payments to various counties in South Carolina included the following (amounts are approximate):
- Abbeville County - $320,000
- Aiken County - $7.6 million
- Bamberg County - $850,000
- Barnwell County - $1.2 million
- Beaufort County - $3.1 million
- Berkeley County - $4.5 million
- Calhoun County - $589,000
- Charleston County - $8 million
- Colleton County - $4.1 million
South Carolina Electric & Gas Company is a regulated public utility engaged in the generation, transmission, distribution and sale of electricity to approximately 636,000 customers in 26 counties in the central, southern and southwestern portions of South Carolina. The company also provides natural gas service to approximately 297,000 customers in 34 counties in the state. Information about SCE&G is available on the company’s web site at www.sceg.com.